Monday, December 15, 2008

Of secret societies and boarding schools...

Finally my exam is over. Spent days and nights preparing for it. I guess I wrote pretty well. But sometimes, I don't trust my luck. My luck played with me in many ways. I have stopped believing it now. Anyways, as soon as I had done with the exam , I came home and picked my favorite book, "The Naughtiest Girl is a Monitor" by Enid Blyton. I love all Enid Blyton books and I still read them when I am feeling very low or when I am in a relaxed holiday mood. Her books take me back to my school days. I feel like a kid again. Ah! I miss my childhood! Who does'nt!


“We plan our lives according to a dream that came to us in our childhood, and we find that life alters our plans. And yet, at the end, from a rare height, we also see that our dream was our fate. It's just that providence had other ideas as to how we would get there. Destiny plans a different route, or turns the dream around, as if it were a riddle, and fulfills the dream in ways we couldn't have expected." - Ben Okri

Coming back to Enid Blyton books, I love her "Famous Five" series the most. As a kid, I used to dream about the sort of adventures they used to face. Never had such a great adventure but still love to cosy up with one of their adventure books and imagine myself to be one of the characters in the book. Talk about wild imgination!

About "Famous Five", they are a group of children who have the sort of adventures most kids dream about, in a world where ginger beer flows and ham rolls are a staple diet. Julian, Dick and Anne get together with their cousin George and George's dog, Timmy form the Famous Five. I used to envy George a lot because most kids have pets, but George's parents own Kirrin Island and let her run around on it as if it were her play-thing. Wish I had an island of my own!

Coming back to Enid Blyton, I read that her first full-length children's adventure book, The Secret Island, was published in 1938. This fast-moving
story, woven around familiar characters, led to such series as The Famous Five, The Secret Seven, the Adventure series, the Mystery series, and the 'Barney' Mystery books.

Secret Seven is my another favorite. The Secret Seven are a children's secret society who hold regular meetings and try to solve mysteries. The Seven have a secret password, a badge, and a secret headquarters in a garden shed. The Seven are led by Peter and include Peter's sister Janet, and their friends Jack, Colin, George, Pam and Barbara. I once tried forming my own secret society when I was in my school but it fell apart as we could'nt get any mysteries to solve. That was the end of my secret society.

If you have dreams of forming a secret society here are some tips:
  • Recruit members by common interest—it doesn't have to be solving mysteries!
  • Think up a name that represents your society
  • Decide on a meeting place
  • Schedule regular meetings
  • Plan activities so that members will be interested
  • Most importantly, enjoy the company!
  • You can go further like the Seven, and come up with a badge, a secret password, themes etc. You can even build a tree house as your HQ.
I wish I knew the tips then!





My other favorites are Malory Towers, St Clare's, Naughtiest Girl Series and many more! The Naughtiest Girl stands apart for me because the setting, Whyteleafe School, is a very different kind of school. It is coeducational and extremely “progressive”. The students hold a weekly meeting, presided over by a Head Boy, a Head Girl, and a group of Monitors, at which decisions are made and troublemakers are disciplined. The children only apply to the teachers when there is a problem they feel they cannot solve.The Naughtiest Girl in the School is the first book in a series of school story by Enid Blyton, first published in 1940. The main character is Elizabeth Allen, a spoilt only child who is shocked when she discovers she is to be sent away to boarding school and decides to get herself expelled. Despite all her determination, she is not sent home, and ends up enjoying school life. I used to hate school too but soon I came to like it. I wish I was a student of Whyteleaf.


I do miss my childhood days. Enid Blyton's books takes me back to those days. Fills me up with a sense of warmth and joy! Her books lift my spirits when the day's going awful and brings in more cheer when the day's going just fine.


Thank you Enid Blyton!

Pics Source : Enidblyton.net

No comments: